
It was warm today (40, warm compared to zero) and rainy and grey. I biked to the Salvation Army and a woman offered to give me a ride and another guy wondered how I can bike on the ice. It is actually much easier riding on melting ice mixed with dirt (better traction) than below-zero temps (even with no ice, the water in the air seems to freeze when it is that cold, and everything is more slippery). But, I hate biking in rain. It's gross; I'd rather freezing but sunny. I am 100% MN-an.
I went to a standard grocery store. I almost always go to the coop but thought maybe I would buy some conventional produce and save some money (organic is more an ethical thing for me and I spend loads, so a bit spent on conventional is no big deal). Nope. Most conventional foods are not that much cheaper, except for leafy greens (which I won't buy conventional, this time for health). They cost the same or just slightly more, what a scam.
I had fun looking at the foreign foods section (I used to do this all the time, going to Mexican and other stores) and was fascinated by the regular grocery section. People eat really disgusting stuff. There was also a huge Lean Cuisine section. I remember seeing the 260 kcal meal of nothing my co-workers would eat (trying to be healthy) and wondering how they got full with such small portion sizes. It's meat and fat and maybe a little starch and a tablespoon of veggies. Almost nothing your body needs and low fiber. Seeing it was like being in a museum--"Ah, so this is how the standard American female eats when she's trying to lose weight." I was fascinated. Kashi has two vegan meals that look decent-tasting, though still low in veggies for my taste.
The one thing I do buy conventional is jicama, because you can't find it organic anywhere that I've seen. And it's one of the most delicious foods ever. Also pomegranate. Maybe I will stop at some point, though. I prefer being an organic localvore (BTW--easier to find winter local foods in Ithaca--they have root veggies, leafy veggies, apples, and beans--a delicious diet).
I also ran along a creek, almost 4 miles. I love running by water. I love sitting and doing nothing, too, but that isn't very good for my brain chemistry.
No comments:
Post a Comment