Monday, August 25, 2008

weekend update

On Friday, we went out with some grad students with my department. We went to several bars in Collegetown and talked about the bar we'll be going after a seminar on Weds. It was so funny because these people don't know me. They don't know that I generally don't go out, never had a drinking or partying phase, and am completely acting to do any of these things. By the end of the night, I was sick of it already. But I need to go out and make friends and talk to different people and have these experiences. I feel like I'm a spy, playing the role of a grad student who likes to go out and have a good time, but secretly will report back on what they do. I missed out on the partying gene, completely. I've felt like a curmudgeon since I was child. But I'm proud of myself for acting the part well; apparently I was very believable. 


Tomorrow--hort department orientation, Weds--listen to talks by various grad students, up in Geneva, NY) and register for classes.
-----------------------------

I have tons of red bell peppers and am eating just loads of them. They're great plain and in stir-fry. I love produce and this is saving me tons of money. I spend enough as it is.

2 comments:

summer said...

partying gene... very cute!

Anonymous said...

what? I seem to remember a little going-out phase you had... but again, you were really acting out of necessity to meet people. it was like, SURVIVAL, man.

haha! I know you and they don't!

I think there are a fair number of curmudgeons like us out there, but they're more difficult to meet because you gotta dig for them. the partyers are kind of the low-hanging fruit. it's good that you're starting with them so they can introduce you to their interesting hermit friends. I am very impressed by your acting skills! I hope I would be able to do the same in a new environment..

Danger

p.s. maybe you could set a trap for a curmudgeon and bait it with, like, a DVD of Arrested Development or a good book.